• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Raw Sockets and Packet Injection

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonasty
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Raw Sockets and Packet Injection Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been educating myself lately on client/server programming, and then got into raw socket programming and packet injection.

Can you tell me some of the good and bad things packet injection can be used for?

I believe I read an article once a while back about an ISP in China using packet injection with a TCP reset signal inside it to stop clients from downloading torrents and other files (piracy).

In the network security field, what incredible things related to improving society and/or improving network security, by way of improving firewalls or Intrusion Detection Systems, can raw socket packet injection do?

I am close to finishing school with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer & Network Security, and I enjoy programming (hobbyist). It would be great to continue educating myself on something pertaining to my career path as well as possibly discover something incredible in the process!

Open my mind!
Thanks a lot for your time! Move this to another board if it doesn't belong here, but I believe it makes more sense to be in Programming than in Networking Smile. Thanks, take care.[/b]
nailz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take special interest in security regarding packet injection. Any good blackhat will expose your failures. I personally used to use an IE security bug to inject admin packets and them force an ignore system side when it checked...as well an old gnu-emacs file send bug(same concept) to gain root or sys priv on unix/linux boxes. If you want pm me a BBM or an I'm contact i'd love to share what I know.
Sonasty
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats intense.

I forgot you could probably send many packets, equaling up to an entire file to do something bad like that. That is incredible, and incredibly powerful too.

I'd love to get in contact with you.

For open discussion though, can you think of any good things you can do with this technology?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: