• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

hot swapable harddisk drives

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardiniaconsulting
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: hot swapable harddisk drives Reply with quote

I have a internal carrier / tray, for hot swapping IDE hard disks, it has the normal IDE cable & internal molex power connectors. But I cannot get the PC to recognise the unit or any hard disks I load onto it, even on boot up. Any advice or clues on how to use this unit would be appreciated.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that wish SCSI systems the system board must support hot swappable disks. I doubt just having a tray will just make it work. Tell me more about this tray or is just a special bay to allow disks to be removed?

Matt_s
cardiniaconsulting
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: hot swapable hard disk unit Reply with quote

Thankyou "matt_s" for the prompt reply. The unit is aluminium body which is fixed into the PC, with a tray that can be slid out containing the hard disk & that tray is lockable with a key. Normal IDE/power cables, one of three that I have all fail tobe loaded on setup of the PC, with or without a hard disk mounted. I am begining to think that a special SCIS card is missing or something along those lines. This issue has me stumpted.
Regards.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need a SCSI card if you have SCSI disks. SCSI disk controllers (card and integrated) were designed to have hot swap capability due to their market (business with high availability and quick recovery). Most IDE (ATA) controllers do not have the hot swap function. I have seen a few IDE SATA controllers which have that function. Check your system board specs to see if they support hot swap otherwise that tray is just a plain old HDD tray.

Matt_s
cardiniaconsulting
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: hot swapable H/Disk tray Reply with quote

Thankyou "matt_s"
I will have to look more deeply at the system specs.
Regards "cardiniaconsulting"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: