• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Upgrading the tower/motherboard/processor?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiffyLou
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Upgrading the tower/motherboard/processor? Reply with quote

I have an old Dell Dimension 2400. The motherboard/processor is absolutely pathetic.

I have upgraded the hard drive, sound card, video card and ram. But the upgrades are fairly useless with a processor that can't handle them.

I want to buy a new tower/motherboard/processor - how can I be sure all of my hardware will be compatible with it?? Also, where do y'all recommend I purchase one? I am disabled/homebound so have to order everything online.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine from this place, they have really good deals on lots of good hardware: http://www.computerlx.com/

also, this is a good resource for older parts: http://ascendtech.us
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading the tower/motherboard/processor? Reply with quote

TiffyLou wrote:
how can I be sure all of my hardware will be compatible with it??

You will need to look at the slots and connectors the motherboard has and then check if your current hardware will connect. Generally if you go from an older model motherboard to a newer model, you will have to replace the RAM & processor at least. Also be sure to check if the newer motherboard will support the hard drive & video card you have.
TiffyLou
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! One thing about this old tower is that I can't upgrade the processor without changing the motherboard. So I've been looking at bare bones towers trying to find something that my current hardware will fit and be compatible with...

You think the RAM will be a problem?? My RAM came from a family member with a newer computer and fit in fine... that's the only thing I haven't been worrying about fitting and being compatible, but now I am. lol

Would anyone here recommend newegg.com? That's where I got my wireless router a couple of years ago.

It looks like I need to find a site that provides good close-up shots of their products, as that is the only way to be sure my hardware will fit? And you're saying that if it will fit, then it will be compatible?

Sorry, I've fiddled around with the computer and know more than the average person, mainly because I can't afford to hire people on disability income lol, but I definitely feel like a babe in the woods on this forum!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiffyLou wrote:

You think the RAM will be a problem?? My RAM came from a family member with a newer computer and fit in fine... that's the only thing I haven't been worrying about fitting and being compatible, but now I am. lol

What type of RAM do you have? If you don't know, Crucial has a memory scanning utility on their website - www.crucial.com

Once you know the type of memory you have you can verify if your new motherboard will support it. I just went to newegg.com and looked up a motherboard and clicked on the specifications link which told me the type of memory that the motherboard will accept. You can do that with any motherboard.
TiffyLou wrote:

Would anyone here recommend newegg.com? That's where I got my wireless router a couple of years ago.

I bought a new computer from Newegg just a few months ago and it was a very positive experience. Fast shipping, good price and worked without any problems.

TiffyLou wrote:

It looks like I need to find a site that provides good close-up shots of their products, as that is the only way to be sure my hardware will fit? And you're saying that if it will fit, then it will be compatible?

I wouldn't rely on a picture, read my above comments about checking the exact memory specs for your motherboard. If it fits, it's most likely going to work, however I can't guarantee anything as I've seen weirder stuff happen with technology.
TiffyLou wrote:

Sorry, I've fiddled around with the computer and know more than the average person, mainly because I can't afford to hire people on disability income lol, but I definitely feel like a babe in the woods on this forum!

You are at the right place to keep on learning! Welcome to the forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: