• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Linux

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ialongiya
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

Why is Linux considered by some to be the poor mans operating system? I was quite put out when this was suggested at the pub over the weekend. I just choose to use Linux as I consider it superior. Has anyone else experienced such sweeping comments.

<edit>Edited by OP after original post to add a bunch of spammy links in here, which I have now deleted. AdamV </edit>

Last edited by ialongiya on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

ialongiya wrote:
Why is Linux considered by some to be the poor mans operating system?
because it's free Smile
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

ialongiya wrote:
Has anyone else experienced such sweeping comments.

Far too often, I'm afraid. Mostly by people who fear what they do not know, and feel like they have to invalidate other alternatives so that their own lack of knowledge becomes less relevant.

Oh, and don't take Graycat too seriously -- he's mainly a Windows guy but there is definitely hope for him yet Wink

Last edited by capi on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

capi wrote:
Oh, and don't take Graycat too seriously -- he's mainly a Windows guy but there is definitely hope for him yet Wink
Hey that's not nice! Fair but not nice. I'm not writing this via a ssh session to a remote box to then access the web but I'm not using Windows either so that's got to count for a bit. In the end an OS is an application so use the right one for the job IMO

Speaking of which, did you ever read that Linux guide I sent over? Wink
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

graycat wrote:
Hey that's not nice! Fair but not nice. I'm not writing this via a ssh session to a remote box to then access the web but I'm not using Windows either so that's got to count for a bit. In the end an OS is an application so use the right one for the job IMO

You got that the wrong way, mate! Although in hindsight I can see how that could happen, my post was rather ambiguous.

I was trying to say "don't take graycat's pun at Linux as a sign that he's against it; he's just joking and in fact is turning away from the dark side (Windows)".

It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but there's always a danger when you don't actually have the non-verbal cues such as tone of voice to interpret someone's intent.

Quote:
Speaking of which, did you ever read that Linux guide I sent over? Wink

Crud, I totally forgot about that!! My apologies... I'll try to read it this week, I promise.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Linux Reply with quote

capi wrote:
You got that the wrong way, mate! Although in hindsight I can see how that could happen, my post was rather ambiguous.

I was trying to say "don't take graycat's pun at Linux as a sign that he's against it; he's just joking and in fact is turning away from the dark side (Windows)".

It was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but there's always a danger when you don't actually have the non-verbal cues such as tone of voice to interpret someone's intent.
lol Don't worry, mate. I was just teasing you back. I seem to be getting stick from the linux guys as I support Windows, the Windows guys coz I use linux for some jobs and the Mac guys because I even admit there is any other OS other than their venerated OSX Laughing

Quote:
Crud, I totally forgot about that!! My apologies... I'll try to read it this week, I promise.
Honestly no rush! I've got one of my admins trying it out and we've hit two bugs so far which needed correcting. Oh and he seems to have almost completely destroyed the FTP server on it now somehow. I swear I don't know what he's doing sometimes but at least he's improving, huh? Smile
brown10
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find 100 Linux Tips and Tricks go here.

adminkernel.com/linux/100-linux-tips-and-tricks
peterpiper1987
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like to work on Linux. I am using Linux since three years. Its has good security feature. We can say It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions. it is the inexpensive computers and free high-quality Linux operating systems and software provide incredibly low-cost solutions. really its has many advantages over windows or Mac operating systems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: