• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Tricky DNS Windows 7 problem

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
auscaf
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Tricky DNS Windows 7 problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am usually pretty good at finding answers to my pc issues on the net but this one has me stumped, therefore begging for ideas. A friend has asked me to look at her Win7 laptop. I think I have resolved the problem down to a DNS issue but am now stuck.

I am pretty sure it is DNS related because I canot get to any webpages in IE or Chrome if I type in a web address but can if I put in specific IP address (eg 66.102.11.104 for Google). Funilly enough Firefox works fine but this problem is also preventing anti virus from updating etc. I have also trid to ping an address but get "please check the name and try again" but when I put in IP address it works fine.

I dont think it is router issue as it is working fine connected via wireless to the same router I am using to type this up. I have also tried the LAN connection and same problem so I dont think it is wireless network adapter related.

I have tried the IP settings to "automatic" and when I run ipconfig /all I get acceptable IP results and same settings as my main pc.
I have also tried setting the DNS server to manual and using Google Public DNS addresses (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) as DNS servers but no luck.
I have LAN settings in Internet Options to "automatically detect" also.
I have flushed my DNS but still no go. Also no luck in "safe mode with networking".

I installed Malwarebytes and ran which picked up a couple of things but problem still there. I am going to un-install antivirus and re-install fresh updated verion and see how that goes.

I really dont want to give up and re-format as I feel I am close.
Can anyone suggest something I might try.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible your firewall or antivirus software is malfunctioning, have you tried disabling both of them? I'm not sure if Windows 7 uses a host file, but if so you should check that and verify it has not been tampered with. It also would not hurt to uninstall/reinstall your NIC drivers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: