• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Strange Acting Wireless Network

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AppleAl
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Strange Acting Wireless Network Reply with quote

My wireless network is acting strange:

1) I have an ACER desktop picking up the signal from my airport extreme router using wireless. However, it only shows my own network and not the other 15 networks from around the neighbourhood as would normally be the case, like my laptop shows. Why not?

2) Most times my computer adds the number "2" to my network name and connects with that network instead of my original name. Then both are showing. If I delete the new strange network, it eventually comes back. Why is this happening?

This all looks like a hacker or a cloaked network of some kind. Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated. Confused
AppleAl
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: got the answer now Reply with quote

I phoned somebody and they told me the answer: My modem is an apple extreme with dual band. What this means is that the modem is putting out 2 wireless signals at the same time (not to be confused with a main and a guest network). Both wireless signals are different frequencies (2.4Ghrtz and 5 Ghrtz). The reason for this is that some computers are configured to pick up one signal better than the other. so the modem gives both out for better contnuity.

When my ACER with windows 7 installed (over Vista), detected both it just made up a second wireless network adapter on the receiving computer and put a number "2" behind it. I simply deleted both networks and re-connected the original one and it never did that again.

The same thing happened with my HP Laptop, so I know it was in the airport extreme.

There you go!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: