• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

My Introduction. ...Questionaire.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.CDud
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: My Introduction. ...Questionaire. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Chris, and I'm a 25 year old Caucasian male that currently resides in California. I'm currently working toward my Associate of Applied Science with a focus in Computer Network Technology which is soon to go into a Bachelor of Science in Information Assurance and Security.

I'm also currently receiving training from CompTIA for my A+ Certification, with the Network+ than Security+ to follow. This is through the CompTIA Creating Futures Program. I've worked with, at home, friends, family, freelance gigs on everything from basic computer troubleshooting and repair, up to network design, setup and troubleshooting.

I'm really interested in the InfoSec area. I have been for some time now, more so on both sides of the fence (Offensive & Defensive) security. I've also looked into some Government bodies as far as future employment positions.

At the time being, the train of thought that I have is that I will need to know about Computer Hardware/Software and Network Protocols/Design/Administration both in and out within both topics. I'm sure this would be a almost requirement in most I.T. fields as your going to run into both.

After this point, I'm not sure exactly where I should be heading. I'm going to be taking a 2 year bachelor program (as listed above), and I know a bit about the Security Certs as far as what they are and a bit about what they cover.

I've looked through employment ad's in different area's and have noticed that a vast majority require experience and the random few that don't mention it; they mention I believe it's the CISSP? (don't quote me) that requires a few years experience.

I'm just not sure where I'm supposed to get my start. I've heard about the whole "Just get a intern" or "work at a call center" but I don't know of any call centers around, nor know of any security firms that will give a intern position. Or, If I was to get a call center or tech job, I don't see how this will amount to the security field as far as them valuing the experience.

I'd like to get a jump into the industry before I finish my BS program so that I have the experience necessary to become valuable in the market.

So in this case, any information or pointers can be very valuable to me. As I mentioned, I'm looking at both Offensive and Defensive side; but 100% legal. More so just the Security portion, the Ethical Hacking and CEH stuff will come way later. I'd like that to be my transition.

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Mr.CDud
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or... Simply put, if this is the wrong thread, just point me in the right direction. =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: