• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

External USB Drive Stolen? So What!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikingnola
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: External USB Drive Stolen? So What!!! Reply with quote

I want to secure / encrypt an external USB drive containing the entire backup of all my (sensitive) data. What company offers the most secure hardware-based solution? I've only heard of IronKey, Buffalo, Apricorn but am a bit confused whether these solutions are software-based or true hardware-based full-disk encryptions...

The drive will be my primary backup in case my laptop craters. Because of this, I need my solution to tick certain boxes:
* I will need to store it outside my apartment, possibly at a friends, in case of fire at my own apartment (or thieves breaking in a stealing everything)
* which will make me paranoid that my sensitive data is in another person's hands - which is why a super-strong encryption / security solution is so important to me.
* the drive must be accessible from any computer - in case my laptop hard drive dies, or is stolen.

Any guidance you can provide will be very much appreciated ... along with brief layman's explanation as to why?

Jon
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueCrypt will do what you need

http://www.truecrypt.org/
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronKey may be the best choice but it's expensive and made for the enterprise. I suggest Kingston as they are rugged and very reliable!
Encryption is built inside the hardware and almost 100% safe, check their respective web sites for more info.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used IronKey but I have used TrueCrypt for a few things and it definitely gets my vote for securing mobile data on a USB key. Personally I don't encrypt the whole drive but half of it and use that for confidential data.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: