• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

IPv6 Day

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: IPv6 Day Reply with quote

Well it looks like IPv6 day has come and gone without the world ending but what are you plans for running with IPv6? Are you even looking at it?

Personally my workplace is keeping a guarded eye on things but won't be properly evaluating it until after the new year I reckon.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greycat,

I feel really bad sharing this with you but I know so little about it. I have been an ostrich which is really bad. I keep meaning to start studying IP6 but as usual other work/life stuff comes up.

Fire Ant
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started looking at IPv6 and implementing it two years ago. We've had IPv6 support on almost all our public services since then, and this year I finished the remaining ones. On the internal side (private servers, user workstations), I'd say it's about 50% coverage.

It works well. The issues I've had are mostly with network equipment support; only relatively recently (within the last 6 months IIRC) did Juniper implement the IPv6 FTP ALG in JunOS, for example. As well as support for IPv6 in their active/active high availability router clusters.

Worse, as far as I know they still don't support assigning an IPv6 address to a VLAN router interface (logical interface attached to physical interfaces in Ethernet switching mode). Their IPv6 support has been notably improving over the last couple of years, though, so it may just be a matter of time. Apart from these nuisances though, things have worked very smoothly (e.g. routing and firewalling).

I also ran into a few minor issues with service software, which have since been solved. I believe it was BIND for example which a couple of years ago didn't support listening on a specific IPv6 address, only all of them. Something like that, but now it's ok.

Address autoconfiguration can also be annoying; every now and then we get hits from some random autoconfigured address on our internal servers and need to go hunting which department has a misconfigured server.

On an unrelated note, I'm not too fond of the whole idea in giving entire /64's right and left... sure, there may be bazillions of IPs, but if we start giving out four million Internets to every Sally and Joe, we're changing the scales.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the liberty of moving this to the Networking forum, to see if we can't liven up the discussion a little Smile
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kudos for getting the jump on IPv6 so early, capi! I know we've been talking off-line about some of the networking stuff you're doing at your place but it does sound fun.

capi wrote:
On an unrelated note, I'm not too fond of the whole idea in giving entire /64's right and left... sure, there may be bazillions of IPs, but if we start giving out four million Internets to every Sally and Joe, we're changing the scales.

This is one of my major concerns. Isn't this how IPv4 started out too? Now look at the situation we're in and the world is only going to get more densely populated with more devices per person getting hooked up to the web.

Of those that have implemented IPv6, what issues have you run into? Has anyone been brave enough to switch their LAN over to just IPv6?! Shocked
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know with hindsight some of those old predictions look kinda stoopid ("we'll never run out of IP4 addresses!") but aren't there several billion IPv6 adds for every square inch of the planet?

I don't feel too guilty, I', only using 8 IPv4s (plus a whole bunch of private addys of course), not a whole B class or anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: