• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Backup Restore for Solaris 2.x

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badfinger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Backup Restore for Solaris 2.x Reply with quote

Well, I hope this is the right place for asking such question. I searched the net and also the forum, but did not found what I was looking for. So here we go...

We have some solaris machines here and we happen to install Solaris, Oracle and other software, but after trial and error and so on (it's test lab) we often have to start from the beginning. Now my question is, is there a good way to have a backup system which recovers all installed files and configs and so on, not only the the original OS installation. This means, that it will mirror the system and than from a spoiled system I want to be able, without to much interference to restore the last know version so to speak.

It doesn't have to be fully automated. It would be great if you ... say.. just have to give a command on the messed machine to restore and a command to make a backup...

Any hints, ideas and so on would be greatly appreciated Smile
Cass
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ways come to mind on how to do this, well three to be exact !

1. Create a mirrored filesystem when configureing the system in the first
instance, dettach this mirror before you make any changes,
then after the changes are figured successfull re-attach to sync up.

2. If you have another Solaris box handy running as an Ai3 (jumpstart) server
you can use Jet, this is not a backup system per se'
but rather an excellent install tool. You can use a template based system to
provide configs etc to the install routine and have
Jet install any pkgs and configs you have automagically, thus negating the
need for any after install tinkerings.

Jet

3. Create a backup to tape, perform a full every time you have a working
system and have it online and available for use when
required. Probably the slowest method of the 3.

If this was my question id be using number 1, as this is the easiest to manage. option 2 is very good as this is transferrable to other systems with minimum fuss, only changes are things that can be considered system specific like ip address, etc .... option 3 is all well and good but probably a bit slow if you have really large filesystems.

hth
Cass
badfinger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response. Well the JumpStart is not to my liking. But the idea with synchronizing sounds interesting. But really have no real clue how to delve into the subject. I read about the dump command, but this doesn't help. The general idea is making a mirror of the server and restoring it with just an simple command Sad I mean one for backing up and one for restoring.

I also have no tape drives. I want to mirror the harddisc.

I'm sorry. I'm still new to Solaris Sad
Cass
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a quick answer for the moment (at work and quite busy), if you have more than one hard disk in the system you can set up ODS (Solstice disk suite) this will enable you to create raid volumes of the disk and mirror it across multiple drives, attachng and dettaching is a simple 1 liner like metattach d0 d10 and metadettach d0 d10.

If you dont have more than 1 disk in the system but you have multiple systems you can use ufsdump and ufsrestore, just create a trust relationship between both servers (edit the ./rhosts) and create filesystems to handle the reciept of the data and its as simple as logging on to the receiving server and doing a cd to whatever filesystem dir your backing up to then

rsh source-server ufsdump 0f - /data-to-backup-dir | ufsrestore rf -

this is a quick and dirty method of doing this.

The restore is just as simple, boot the system as single user, mount up the filesystems to be recovered to and run the same command for each of the filesystems.

rsh source-server ufsdump 0f - /data-to-restore-dir | ufsrestore rf -

Normaly if there is more than 1 filesystem i wrap that command up in a for loop.

Afterwards you probably want to repair the boot loader if this is a root filesystem you restoring

/usr/sbin/installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk //[b][/b]dev[b][/b]/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

I can give more of a detailed instruction of this later if you decide to go down one of these routes but essentially this is really all that is involved.

Cass
badfinger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, really nice of you. I check the manpage first and than, I will check if you could help me more. It's cool that people just like to help. Makes me happy and it's cool to be here Smile
badfinger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Question about AMANDA Reply with quote

Well I stumbled over AMANDA, which I guess would be very much what I need. But since I just want to backup to another system and not a tape drive, I'm not sure, if I can use this suite. I mean there is always only reference to tape-drives. So my question would be, can I backup and restore with AMANDA on a harddisc?
Cass
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used it but from this page it looks so :-

http://www.amanda.org/support/commercial.php

check out Ivan Kanis and Damien Kettler's expertise. Both mention deploying Amanda to disk ...

Cass

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: